- Step2TheU Program – It is time for Alta’s 11th grade students to start considering applying for our Step2TheU Program. For more information, please visit the Step2TheU webpage. Applications are due February 3, 2020. You can also order your transcripts by going online here or through the Alta website. Please allow 2 business days to process your request.
- Interested in Concurrent Enrollment? – Join us for an informational meeting on January 21st. See additional page for more details.
- After School Tutoring – At Alta, we provide many options for students to obtain help if they are struggling in one or more of their classes. Please visit the After School Tutoring page on the Alta website for more information. You can also view a schedule for Math Lab and Computer Lab below.
- Girls and Boys State – Applications for Girls and Boys State are now available to all 11th grade students. This is a great opportunity to earn college credit, learn about government and citizenship and spend time with students from all over the state. This looks great on college and scholarship applications! Space is limited for these programs, so you will want to apply today. The application deadline for Girls State is February 10th. Boys State applications are due in April. See the additional pages for more information. Application information is also available in the Alta Counseling Office.
- Are you Bilingual? – 11th and 12th grade students: The Seal of Biliteracy is placed on a high school graduate’s transcript by the state of Utah to certify for employers and universities that the student has demonstrated proficiency in English and at least one other world language. The application deadline is January 24, 2020. To apply, please visit the Canyons District Seal of Biliteracy webpage. For more information concerning requirement and the application process, please see Karen Brown in the Alta Counseling Office.
- Plume Awards – The Euphony Staff is pleased to congratulate the three semi-finalists in the 2019-20 Fall Plume award competition: Katarina Gyorkos for “Sirens”, Mars Squires for “I’m Going, He’s Gone”, and the Fall Winner: Isabella Coleman for “The Sunflower Pin”. Any students wishing to submit their 250-word story should send an electronic copy to firstname.lastname@example.org by Feb. 15. The winner of the contest receives publication in the Euphony Magazine and $50.
- Hawk Word of the Week: inevitable – (adjective) certain to happen; unavoidable
“I touch the future,” once said Christa McAuliffe, the American teacher and Space Shuttle Challenger crew member. “I teach.”
To honor the stellar teachers who encourage students to seek their dreams and reach for the stars, the Canyons Board of Education and Administration encourage members of the community to submit nominations for the 2020 Canyons Teacher of the Year Award.
Calling all bilingual 11th and 12th grade students: If you’re fluent in two or more languages, you can apply to have an official Seal of Biliteracy added to your high school transcripts.
The Seal of Biliteracy is placed on a high school graduate’s transcript by the state of Utah to certify for employers and universities that the student has demonstrated proficiency in English and at least one world language. It is evidence of a student’s readiness for a career, college and for engagement as a global citizen.
Last year, 102 Canyons District graduates received Seals of Biliteracy on their diplomas. Currently enrolled high school juniors and seniors are eligible to apply for the seal starting Monday, Dec. 2. The application window closes on Jan. 24, 2020.