Alta High School
Soar to a New ALTAtude
We are an inclusive learning community with a tradition of inspiring, supporting, and collaborating with students as they prepare to be engaged citizens in their pursuit of continuous success.
“TEST TO STAY” OCCURRING THIS WEEK IN ORDER TO PRESERVE IN PERSON LEARNING
- Test to Stay – Instead of transitioning to online learning due to a rise in COVID-19 cases, the Salt Lake County Health Department and Canyons School District has opted for Alta High to hold a “Test to Stay” program. Students who test negative for COVID-19 this week will remain in in-person school next week. Students who test positive will need to learn remotely throughout their isolation dates. Students who choose not to test will need to quarantine for 10 days, beginning Friday, January 22nd. In order to be tested for COVID-19 over the next three days, parents and guardians need to please complete the online registration and consent form on REDCap. Please see pages 5 and 6 for a schedule of our COVID-19 testing this week. You can also view page 7 for answers to frequently asked questions about this process.
- Step2theU Applications – It is time for Alta’s 11th Grade students to consider applying for the Step2theU program! This prestigious program is unique to Alta and allows participating students the ability to earn 30 semester university credits and save up to $20,000 in college tuition fees. Applications are due February 1st at 3:00pm. No late applications will be accepted. For more information, visit the Alta Step2theU webpage.
- ACT Math Prep Sessions – Students interested in preparing for the math section of the ACT are welcome to attend any or all sessions reviewing sample tests and exam strategies. These sessions will be held on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons in room 2201 from 2:30-3:15pm, leading up to the March 9 ACT exam for all juniors or for the upcoming Saturday national ACT testing dates.
- Alta Career Fair – Alta High School will be having a Virtual Career Fair on Thursday, March 4th @ 9:00am. We are looking for parents who are willing to share their Career Journey with our Students. Please sign-up with the following link: https://forms.gle/28128t43UgmwKYTH9. Contact Janet Jefferson email@example.com with questions or for more information.
- Yearbook Senior Ads – If you would like to submit a senior tribute for your senior, please go to www.jostensadservice.com and follow the steps below on page 6. Also see pages 6 and 7 for details and samples.
- Hawkeye – Check out the student news site for the week. Recent stories include those on the following topics: Response to the Capitol Riots, Vaccinations, Quarantines, Student Drivers, Peer Pressure, and more. Go to altahawkeye.org.
- Regents Scholarship – Seniors: The final deadline for the Regents Scholarship is Monday, February 1st. Go to www.regentsscholarship.org to see if you qualify for this scholarship and apply. If you do qualify, order your transcript through Parchment, by 2:00pm on Thursday, January 28th. The transcript needs to be sent directly to Regents. Talk to your counselor or Mrs. Brown in the Counseling Center if you have any questions.
- Girls Golf – Those interested in trying out for girls golf: There is an opportunity to practice at Top Golf on Tuesday 1/19, Monday 1/25, Monday 2/1 and 2/8, Tuesday 2/16 and Monday 2/22 from 3-5pm. If you have any questions contact Karen Jack at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Seal of Biliteracy – Juniors and Seniors who speak English and at least one other language should consider applying for the Seal of Biliteracy. The Seal of Biliteracy is placed on a high school graduate’s transcript by the state of Utah to certify for employers and universities that the student has demonstrated proficiency in English and at least one world language. If you have earned a 3,4,or 5 on an AP world language test, and a minimum of an 18 on the English portion of the ACT, you automatically qualify! The application deadline is Friday, Jan. 22, 2021. Complete the application online at: https://sealofbiliteracy.canyonsdistrict.org. Please see Karen Brown in the Counseling Center for more information concerning requirements and the application process.
- Math Tutoring – Both in person and virtual math tutoring is available Monday-Thursday. Please see the Alta High Tutoring Webpage for more information about this and other tutoring opportunities.