Alta High School
Soar to a New ALTAtude
We are an inclusive learning community with a tradition of inspiring, supporting, and collaborating with students as they prepare to be engaged citizens in their pursuit of continuous success.
- “Do it for Kate!” Alta Fundraiser – The Alta fundraiser to benefit the Make a Wish Foundation was officially launched last week. You can view the Virtual Fundraiser Assembly video on the Alta High website. You can support this fundraiser by making a donation in the Alta High Main Office or through Venmo (@AltaHawk) or by participating in the fundraising events listed on page 2 and on the fundraiser Instagram page (@alta.silverush).
- Step2theU Applications – It is time for Alta’s 11th Grade students to consider applying for the Step2theU program! This prestigious program is unique to Alta and allows participating students the ability to earn 30 semester university credits and save up to $20,000 in college tuition fees. Juniors will receive a paper application and participate in a virtual assembly this week. For more information, visit the Alta Step2theU webpage.
- COVID-19 Testing for Extracurricular Activities – In line with new state requirements, Alta High will begin administering rapid COVID-19 testing to all students and employees involved in Utah High School Activities Association-sanctioned activities, including sports and performing art programs. Please see page 2 for a schedule of the programs who will test this week. For more information, please visit the CSD COVID-19 Information webpage.
- Learning at Home – Even though we are back at school, we have several students still learning from home for a variety of reasons. If your student has technical difficulties while at home, please utilize the strategies on page 5. For information about online learning, Canvas, Skyward, CSDDocs and more, please see the 2020-2021 CSD Online Learning Handbook.
- CTEC Open Enrollment opens on December 11, 2020. Learn more about the fantastic Canyons Technical Education Center (CTEC) programs on the CTEC website. Their classes fill up quickly, so don’t delay!
- Earn college credit in your HS courses! If you are interested in earning college credit, check out the courses offered here at Alta that qualify for College Credit. Courses qualifying for College Credit are in the areas of: Health Sciences, Math, Language Arts, Foods & Nutrition, Art & Creative Media, Business & Marketing, Financial Literacy, and more! Visit the Career Center or your counselor for more information.
- Attention parents of Juniors! If you have not signed up for your individual Plan for College and Career Readiness (PCCR) meeting with your student’s counselor, please follow the link below to sign up for an appointment. In person and virtual options are provided. Sign up for this individual meeting by following the appropriate link below based on your student’s last name. Please sign up by December 16th.
- A-Ch Jen https://calendly.com/jennifer-scheffner/junior-pccr
- Ci-Gd Christine https://calendly.com/christine-astle/junior-pccr
- Ge-Kh Sandy https://calendly.com/sandy-white3/junior-pccr
- Ki-O Cierra https://calendly.com/cierra-bell/junior-pccr
- P-So Callie https://calendly.com/callie-bjerregaard/junior-pccr
- Sp-Z Leslie https://calendly.com/alta-counseling/leslie-stettler
- Seal of Biliteracy – Juniors and Seniors who speak English and at least one other language should consider applying for the Seal of Biliteracy. This distinguished honor is awarded to students who demonstrate proficiency in English and at least one other World Language before high school graduation. Visit the Canyon District Seal of Biliteracy website to learn more and apply.
- Math Tutoring – Both in person and virtual math tutoring is available Please see the schedule on page 6, which also includes the information about how to connect via Google Meet.
- NHS Tutoring – Looking for a tutor? The Alta National Honor Society is offering free online tutoring sessions! Please complete this form to be matched with an NHS Peer Tutor. See the flyer on page 7 for more information.