Alta High School
Soar to a New ALTAtude
We are an inclusive learning community with a tradition of inspiring, supporting, and collaborating with students as they prepare to be engaged citizens in their pursuit of continuous success.
- Finishing Strong in 2nd Quarter – With all the change we have experienced throughout this school year, we know that many of our students are concerned about their learning and grades. We want to make sure our students have the opportunity to recover the learning of key concepts so that they can move forward into 3rd quarter with the skills and confidence they need to be successful. Please view page 5 for a summary of how students can recover their possibly lost learning, raise their grade and start 3rd quarter strong for each of their classes.
- Preparing for 3rd Quarter – Arena Scheduling is still open for students to log into their Skyward and add or drop semester classes. The window will close January 10th at 11:59pm. Please follow the instructions on pages 6-8.
- Step2theU Applications – It is time for Alta’s 11th Grade students to consider applying for the Step2theU program! This prestigious program is unique to Alta and allows participating students the ability to earn 30 semester university credits and save up to $20,000 in college tuition fees. Juniors will receive a paper application and participate in a virtual assembly this week. For more information, visit the Alta Step2theU webpage.
- COVID-19 Testing for Extracurricular Activities – In line with new state requirements, Alta High will begin administering rapid COVID-19 testing to all students and employees involved in Utah High School Activities Association-sanctioned activities, including sports and performing art programs. Please see page 2 for a schedule of the programs who will test this week. For more information, please visit the CSD COVID-19 Information webpage.
- Learning at Home – Even though we are back at school, we have several students still learning from home for a variety of reasons. If your student has technical difficulties while at home, please utilize the strategies on page 9. For information about online learning, Canvas, Skyward, CSDDocs and more, please see the 2020-2021 CSD Online Learning Handbook.
- CTEC Open Enrollment is now open. Learn more about the fantastic Canyons Technical Education Center (CTEC) programs on the CTEC website. Their classes fill up quickly, so don’t delay!
- Earn college credit in your HS courses! If you are interested in earning college credit, check out the courses offered here at Alta that qualify for College Credit. Courses qualifying for College Credit are in the areas of: Health Sciences, Math, Language Arts, Foods & Nutrition, Art & Creative Media, Business & Marketing, Financial Literacy, and more! Visit the Career Center or your counselor for more information.
- Seal of Biliteracy – Juniors and Seniors who speak English and at least one other language should consider applying for the Seal of Biliteracy. This distinguished honor is awarded to students who demonstrate proficiency in English and at least one other World Language before high school graduation. Visit the Canyon District Seal of Biliteracy website to learn more and apply by January 22nd.
- Math Tutoring – Both in person and virtual math tutoring is available Monday-Thursday. Please see the Alta High Tutoring Webpage for more information about this and other tutoring opportunities.
- NHS Tutoring – Looking for a tutor? The Alta National Honor Society is offering free online tutoring sessions! Please complete this form to be matched with an NHS Peer Tutor.
- Keys to Success – Students: don’t forget to apply for the Keys to Success app online to register an account. You have the opportunity to be awarded a scholarship for college or obtain an internship! There is so much good information in the app for you