Alta High School
Soar to a New ALTAtude
We are an inclusive learning community with a tradition of inspiring, supporting, and collaborating with students as they prepare to be engaged citizens in their pursuit of continuous success.
- State Testing This Week – This week, Alta’s 9th and 10th grade students will join high school students throughout Utah in taking the Utah Aspire Plus exam. The Aspire test was designed by ACT and Pearson, Inc. with the goal of providing students a chance to practice taking timed tests in preparation for the ACT college-entrance exam. Utah Aspire Plus scores are predictive of a student’s performance on the ACT. The exam will provide you with feedback on your student’s college- and career-readiness, and help you to pinpoint which courses will best help him or her achieve one of Canyons’ college and career-ready diplomas. Students are encouraged to familiarize themselves with this exam before their test dates:
Aspire Plus Platform Tutorial
Aspire Plus Question Sampler
- Class of 2021 Graduation Ceremonies – It’s official! The Class of 2021 graduation ceremonies will be held on May 26th at 10:00am at the University of Utah Huntsman Center. Each graduate can invite up to four guests. More details will be sent to the graduates and their families in the near future. Here are some other important graduation dates:
- April 21st – Graduation Speaker Tryouts (applications available in Mr. Ochoa’s room 1309)
- April 22nd – Cap and Gown pick up during lunches. Students with school fees, library fines or academic holds will need to clear these first.
- April 28th – Graduation Musical Performance auditions (see Mrs. Raymond for more information)
- COVID-19 Protocols, Mask Mandate – Despite a change in protocol in other areas around our state, face masks will continue to be required in schools, on buses and in district offices throughout the remainder of the school year. More information can be found in this CSD Update.
- Alta Ballroom Team Concert – Ballroom Team will host two concert dates: April 23rd and April 26th. See page 5 for details and get your tickets today!
- Work-Based Learning Opportunities – See pages 6 through 10 for information about some excited work-based learning opportunities for students!
- Alta PTSA is filling spots for next year’s board and invites you to sign up! You can help our school community in meaningful ways even if you are only able to offer small amounts of time. Please check out this link and sign up by May 15th.
- Donation Drive – Latinos in Action and Interact Club will be hosting a donation during lunch between April 12th-April 29th, and the purpose of this fundraiser is to give students a chance to give back to the community and donate sanitary items (women’s washable fabric masks, washcloths, bar soap, hair elastics, etc.) to make care packages for refugees. NO USED ITEMS!! We’re making this a competition between advisory classes for a prize.
- Seniors who qualify for the Honors or Advanced Diploma, should have received an email through their CSD email account. A list of qualifying seniors is also posted in the Counseling Center. Please see the Diploma Options Chart for information about each of these opportunities. Students who believe they qualify for one of these diplomas, but are not on the list, or did not receive an email indicating should contact Karen Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, April 26th.
- Math Tutoring – Both in person and virtual math tutoring is available Monday-Thursday after school or by appointment with individual tutors. Please see the Alta High Tutoring webpage for more information about this and other tutoring opportunities.
- Hawk Stash – The Alta Hawk Stash is open after school on Thursdays in room 1110. Students and family members can also visit either the Counseling Center or Attendance Office to access the Hawk Stash during any other school operating hours.
- Alta Summer School Driver Education – Students interested in taking summer school Dr. Ed. will need to register in the main office before or after school or at lunch. The course is for anyone who has not graduated and will be at least 16 years old by January 1st, 2022. The class will begin on June 1st and end on June 17th. It will be in person but Canvas-based. Please see more details here.