Week of January 31, 2022
We are an inclusive learning community with a tradition of inspiring, supporting, and collaborating with students
as they prepare to be engaged citizens in their pursuit of continuous success.
- Positive Behaviors & Kindness: We would like to start today’s Alta High News with a positive comment from a parent from Lehi High School following Friday’s boys’ basketball win: “Tonight after Lehi vs. Alta’s basketball game (Alta won), my son stopped at Maverick to get a couple of sodas. A few kids from Alta High were there. They saw his Lehi shirt and were very friendly and complimentary about the game and the Lehi players. Then they paid for his drinks. I love seeing this kind of kindness and class in our youth today!” A big ‘thank you’ to our Alta students for being such positive ambassadors on behalf of our school.
- Freshman Orientation has been rescheduled for Wednesday, February 2nd from 6:00-8:00 p.m. Although the focus on this event has traditionally been for our incoming 8th grade students, we invite all current 9th grade students and their parents to attend as well. The program will begin at 6:00 p.m. in the PAC with presentations from Principal Rowley, performing arts, and other groups. At 6:45 p.m., we will transition to the Commons for the “Exhibitions.” The exhibitions will include displays for every department, program, club, team, and other school organization at Alta High. Come see everything Alta has to offer! For those unable to attend, the information can also be found here. on our Alta website at:
- Updated: Free Mental Health Screening & Services. Alta High and Canyons School District have noticed an increase in the need for mental and emotional health supports for our students. To help address this need, on February 3rd, the District is hosting a free mental health screening at Mount Jordan Middle School from 4:00-8:00 p.m. Students ages 10-18 and their parents are encouraged to attend. Registration is required prior to attending: https://calendly.com/csd-mental-health-screening/mental-health-screener-night-mms. See flyers below for information on additional screening dates in February.
- Teacher of the Year Nominations: We invite any member of our school community to nominate a “Teacher of the Year” from Alta High School. Click this link to complete your nomination by February 4th. Thank you!
- Valentine’s Day Surprises! Do you want to send your student a Valentine surprise at school? Alta’s Peer Leadership team is selling lip suckers for only $1.25. These will be sent to your student during their Advisory class period on Monday, Feb 14th. Click here to purchase.
- Yearbook Orders: It’s time to reserve your copy of the school yearbook if you haven’t already done so. Yearbooks are now available through February 27th for $58. (Book price increases March 1, 2022 to $60 and extra books will be $60 on yearbook day.) To order a yearbook, you may do one of the following. Bring in or mail a check for $58 to the school’s Main Office or purchase a book through Skyward. To purchase through Skyward: Go to fee management / make payment / optional fees. Click on yearbook. You also may go online to https://jostensyearbooks.com/?REF=A08724530 to order your book. The first two options cost less because you don’t have to pay a processing fee. Please note, we will order a few extra books for sale in May, but they go fast. NOW is the time to order your yearbook.
- Math Tutoring & NHS Tutors: Our National Honor Society students are available on Monday, January 31st to help with tutoring in core subjects. Should your student need additional help in math, science, social studies, or ELA, help is available. See NHS flyer below for more details. Math Lab also continues after school throughout the month of February on Mondays—Thursdays. See math teachers for specific locations. Math tutoring is also available daily during Advisory in room 1118.
- PTSA Board Nominations: It’s that time of year when the PTSA is filling positions for next year’s board. We’d love to have you join the group! Please click on the following link to discover which position matches your skills or interests. https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0c4fa9ab2ea4fe3-alta2
- The Founders Day Celebration (PTA) is a physical event at the Capitol Building which will take place on Wednesday, February 16, 10 am-2 pm. The first two hours include a tour of the Capitol and a Time Certain in a Galley for a special resolution regarding the 125th anniversary of Utah PTA. The second two hours, beginning at noon, are reserved for a gathering for our region (district) alone with our own legislators. All of the legislators who represent us have been invited and have accepted, so this is a terrific opportunity for you to meet and converse with our representatives at the Capitol. We will be in the Aspen room, which is in the East Senate Building. Info: https://www.utahpta.org/day-capitol-2022. There is a cost of $10 for this event.
- ACT Prep: For students interested in ACT prep, the Alta Math Department will begin math review sessions that run from February 1st thru March 8th. These sessions are free to students and are offered Monday thru Thursday in Mr. Keller’s classroom, 2201.
- Attention Junior Families: The state ACT will be administered to all Alta juniors on Tuesday, March 8, 2022. Alta is pleased to announce that we have partnered with Sycamore Learning Company again this year and will be able to offer a test prep course on Saturday, February 26, 2022, from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm in the Commons. Please see the flyer below for details on how to register. This is for JUNIORS ONLY. There are a limited number of spots available, so make sure to reserve your seat soon! If you have questions, please contact your student’s counselor or Shannon Kershaw, Alta’s Test Coordinator.
Final Call for Step 2 the U applications: Step2theU is an early-college pathway that is unique to Alta High. Students can earn college credits and save thousands of dollars in the process. Any junior student enrolled at Alta may apply for this program. The online application link can be found here. Applications are due THIS WEEK on Tuesday, February 1st, 2022