Week of January 17, 2022
We are an inclusive learning community with a tradition of inspiring, supporting, and collaborating with students
as they prepare to be engaged citizens in their pursuit of continuous success.
- Updates related to COVID-19: As you are aware, current transmission of the current variant of COVID-19 is high in our community. As a result, the District has recommended that all schools be placed in a Tier III status thru January 28th. This means that we will continue to follow SL County Health guidelines, increase deep cleans in our school, postpone assemblies and field trips, and limit after school activities to practices and competitions for in-season UHSAA activities. Should activities need to be cancelled due to high transmission amongst participants, the activities will be rescheduled at a later date. We will apprise you of these changes as they are determined. As always, our priority will be the health and safety of our students and staff.
- 3rd Quarter Begins with a remote learning day, Tuesday, January 18th. Students will be expected to log in to Canvas for their “A” day classes and to participate virtually in class activities. Teachers will be available via email and connect with students through Canvas, Zoom, or Google Meet. Should you have questions about 3rd quarter scheduling, please contact your student’s counselor via email or phone. Other remote learning days recently approved by the CSD School Board include the following dates (all Fridays): January 28th, February 4th, February 11th, and March 25th.
- Lunch on Tuesday, January 18th: Canyons District’s lunch crews remain committed to ensuring all students have uninterrupted access to nutritious meals. Four school locations will be serving grab-and-go sack lunches on Tuesday, Jan. 18, 2022 to fuel students’ remote learning. The lunches are available free of charge on a first-come, first-served basis until supplies last: Draper Park Middle (10:00-10:15 a.m.), Jordan High School (Noon-12:30 p.m.), Butler Middle (10:15-10:45 a.m.), Midvale Middle (10:15-10:45 a.m.). Any CSD student is welcome to a lunch at any location.
- Boys’ Soccer Tryout Meeting for the 2022 season: We will be meeting in Coach Hyer’s room 2121 on Wednesday, Jan 19 at 2:45 p.m. to cover all the details of tryouts and sign up. Please see Coach Hyer with any questions!
- Senior Ads for the Yearbook: It’s an ‘almost’ final call! If you’d like your senior student to be highlighted in the Senior Ad section of the yearbook, it’s time to submit your ads! The final deadline to submit an ad is on January 31st, 2022. See flyer below for additional information.
- Attention Junior Families: The state ACT will be administered to all Alta juniors on Tuesday, March 8, 2022. Alta is pleased to announce that we have partnered with Sycamore Learning Company again this year and will be able to offer a test prep course on Saturday, February 26, 2022, from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm in the Commons. Please see the flyer below for details on how to register. This is for JUNIORS ONLY. There are a limited number of spots available, so make sure to reserve your seat soon! If you have questions, please contact your student’s counselor or Shannon Kershaw, Alta’s Test Coordinator.
- Step 2 the U: Prior to the holiday break, junior students attended an informative assembly about Alta’s unique Step2theU program. The application link is now live can be submitted online. Applications are due on: Tuesday, February 1st, 2022. See the Alta website for additional information: https://ahs.canyonsdistrict.org/step2theu/
- A reminder to read the Hawkeye, our student-sponsored school news publication online. Check out this week’s edition on our website: https://altahawkeye.org/
- Attention Juniors and Seniors! Are you Bilingual? If so, apply now for the Seal of Biliteracy. The Seal of Biliteracy is placed on a high school graduate’s transcript by the state of Utah to certify for employers and universities that the student has demonstrated proficiency in English and at least one world language. If you have earned a 3,4,or 5 on an AP world language test, and a minimum of an 18 on the English portion of the ACT, you automatically qualify! The application deadline is Friday, Jan. 21st, 2022. Complete the application online at: https://sealofbiliteracy.canyonsdistrict.org. Please see Karen Brown in the Counseling Center for more information concerning requirements and the application process.
- Math Tutoring & NHS Tutors: Our National Honor Society students are available on Monday, January 29th to help with tutoring in core subjects. Should your student need additional help in math, science, social studies, or ELA, help is available! Math Lab also continues after school throughout the month of January on Mondays—Thursdays. See math teachers for specific locations. Math tutoring is also available daily during Advisory in room 1118.