We are an inclusive learning community with a tradition of inspiring, supporting, and collaborating with students
as they prepare to be engaged citizens in their pursuit of continuous success.
- Positive Behavior & Celebrations: Over Spring Break, some new furniture was installed in the hallway next to the Commons and the Main Offices, which has the feel of a college student union. The results seem to be quite positive as students have filled this space, enjoying time with friends, eating lunch, or even studying. When one student asked why the furniture was installed, Ms. Karren told them that it was to help them to connect with their peers and to find space to relax during the day. Delighted, the group said they were off to “build relationships and to relax” in the new chairs. We invite our patrons to check out the new look the next time you are in the building!
- Modified Schedule for Aspire Plus Testing this week on April 20th and 21st: Our 9th and 10th grade students will be taking the Aspire Test, the Utah State Assessment for learning this week. Like the ACT schedule for juniors, we invite only 9th and 10th graders to arrive at school at 7:30 a.m. to prepare for their tests on each day. We invite ALL students to arrive after the testing at 10:35 a.m. for a shortened schedule of B day classes (on April 20th) and at 10:50 for A day classes (on April 21st). The make-up test will be held on Friday, April 22nd, a remote learning day. AP review sessions will be available for 11th and 12th graders from 7:45-10:15 a.m. AP students should can contact their teachers for review locations. See the UPDATED schedule for both testing days below in the ‘FLYERS’ section.
- Aspire Make-Up Testing on Friday, April 22nd (remote learning day): For 9th and 10th grade students who miss either or both testing days this upcoming week, we encourage students to come to the Alta Library for make-up testing beginning at 9:00 a.m. on Friday. Student may take as many tests that day as needed.
- School WIFI Change for April Testing: To ensure students bring their district Chromebooks for end-of-year testing, the decision has been made to turn off the Canyonair and CSD-Guest networks starting Tuesday, April 12th. The new Wifi network will be CSD-Auth. Student’s district Chromebooks will automatically connect to CSD-Auth without needing credentials. Student’s personal devices are not allowed on either of those networks; however, students’ district Chromebooks will automatically connect to CSD-Auth without needing credentials.
- Alta High School Job Fair is on Tuesday, April 19, 2022 in the commons, during both lunches. All students are invited to visit the booths of local businesses that are hiring now. There are opportunities for students 14 years and older to apply for a summer or part-time job. There will also be businesses hiring graduating seniors looking for a full-time job/career opportunity.
- Updated Graduation Speaker & Music Tryouts: Tryouts for graduation speakers and musical selections will be on April 20th and April 27th after school. Speaker Tryouts will take place on Wednesday, April 20th at 2:45 p.m. in room 1309 (contact Rique Ochoa). Musical Auditions will take place on Wednesday, April 27th at 2:45 p.m. in the choir room 1607 (contact April Iund). Watch and listen for more information. This year’s theme for graduation is: “Often when you think you’re at the end of something, you’re at the beginning of something else.” -Mister Rogers
- Attention Seniors: Seniors who qualify for the Honors or Advanced Diploma, should have received an email through your CSD email account indicating which diploma you qualify for. A list of qualifying seniors is also posted in the Counseling Center. See the criteria for each diploma at this link: https://altahscounseling.weebly.com/uploads/1/2/0/0/120083169/high-school-diploma-options-2022-english.pdf. If you believe you qualify for one of these diplomas, but your name is not on the list, or you did not receive an email indicating you qualify for the Honors or Advanced diploma, contact Karen Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, April 21st.
- Our Graduation Letter with updated info for parents/guardians of seniors is posted in the ‘FLYERS’ section below. Graduation will be on May 25th at the University of Utah at 10:00 a.m.!
- PTSA Info: Our Alta Hawk PTSA fundraiser is still happening! We are down to less than 100 blankets and will not be selling them again. So, get them while you can! Please send any questions to altaPTSA1@gmail.com. Thank you for your support! 2TCJHU3FAYHL4ZYE7I2ZMXFY3O7LDYGCIA2F2LCGSAK35KYX
- AP Testing 2022: AP Students and Parents, please refer to the AP schedule included in this newsletter to make sure you know the date, time and location for any AP exam(s) you are taking this year. Please also take note of the items to bring and not bring. Students will need to arrive 10-15 minutes prior to the exam start time to get checked in and find their assigned seat. They will be excused from any class time they miss due to testing. If you have any questions, please contact Alta’s AP Coordinator, Shannon Kershaw at email@example.com.”
- Canyoneering Academy Presents: What are some practical ways parents can keep their kids safe online? How can families most effectively use Skyward and Canvas to monitor their student’s progress at school? What mental wellness resources and 504 supports are available at school? These topics, and more, are the focus of a free Parent Information Night that Canyons School District is sponsoring as part of an ongoing Canyoneering Academy lecture series. The event will be held on Tuesday, April 26, 6-8:30 p.m. at the District Office, 9361 S. 300 East in Sandy. The evening kicks off with a 50-minute keynote address by Utah author Jason Hewlett, a professional speaker known for his “family-friendly” comedic style and inspiring messages about leadership and reaching one’s potential. Afterward, attendees will have their choice of participating in two of four breakout sessions on the topics listed above. Spanish translators will be on hand at the event. If you are in need of additional translation services, please email Charisse Hilton. Her email address is: Charisse.Hilton@canyonsdistrict.org. See canyonsdistrict.org for more information.
- Jr. Women in Business Scholarship Program: The Southvalley Chamber of Commerce is now accepting applications for the 2022/2023 school year Jr. WIB Scholarship Program. Current juniors may apply to participate in the program next year, as a senior. A $1,000 scholarship is awarded to female high school seniors at each high school within Canyons School District. These seniors are selected for their outstanding achievements in education and the community. Scholarships are awarded at the completion of the program and are generously donated by WCF Insurance. Apply Here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfin6zsmaZ47fbwyvo2tSm38COmDg_k3nE9iJYs3FHMxSHT9w/viewformApplication Deadline is May 13, 2022