School lunches. Special education grants. Training for teachers and support for families in need. Census results, and the programs and resources tied to them, affect our students every day. A complete headcount of everyone living in the country, the census only comes around once every 10 years, and the time to be counted — and to make sure your community receives its fair share of federal funding for schools — is coming. This month, every person living in Utah will take part in the 2020 Census. It’s possible to respond to the census online, by phone, or by mail starting March 12. It takes only 10 minutes, the information is kept strictly confidential, and if you don’t have access to a computer at home, we can help. Join us for “We Count Week,” March 16-20, and come complete the census at one of four Canyons District-sponsored Open House events. https://www.canyonsdistrict.org/district-news/item/12447-the-2020-census-is-coming-make-sure-you-re-counted
- Step2TheU Program – It is time for Alta’s 11th grade students to start considering applying for our Step2TheU Program. For more information, please visit the Step2TheU webpage. Applications are due February 3, 2020. You can also order your transcripts by going online here or through the Alta website. Please allow 2 business days to process your request.
- Interested in Concurrent Enrollment? – Join us for an informational meeting on January 21st. See additional page for more details.
- After School Tutoring – At Alta, we provide many options for students to obtain help if they are struggling in one or more of their classes. Please visit the After School Tutoring page on the Alta website for more information. You can also view a schedule for Math Lab and Computer Lab below.
- Girls and Boys State – Applications for Girls and Boys State are now available to all 11th grade students. This is a great opportunity to earn college credit, learn about government and citizenship and spend time with students from all over the state. This looks great on college and scholarship applications! Space is limited for these programs, so you will want to apply today. The application deadline for Girls State is February 10th. Boys State applications are due in April. See the additional pages for more information. Application information is also available in the Alta Counseling Office.
- Are you Bilingual? – 11th and 12th grade students: The Seal of Biliteracy is placed on a high school graduate’s transcript by the state of Utah to certify for employers and universities that the student has demonstrated proficiency in English and at least one other world language. The application deadline is January 24, 2020. To apply, please visit the Canyons District Seal of Biliteracy webpage. For more information concerning requirement and the application process, please see Karen Brown in the Alta Counseling Office.
- Plume Awards – The Euphony Staff is pleased to congratulate the three semi-finalists in the 2019-20 Fall Plume award competition: Katarina Gyorkos for “Sirens”, Mars Squires for “I’m Going, He’s Gone”, and the Fall Winner: Isabella Coleman for “The Sunflower Pin”. Any students wishing to submit their 250-word story should send an electronic copy to firstname.lastname@example.org by Feb. 15. The winner of the contest receives publication in the Euphony Magazine and $50.
- Hawk Word of the Week: inevitable – (adjective) certain to happen; unavoidable
“I touch the future,” once said Christa McAuliffe, the American teacher and Space Shuttle Challenger crew member. “I teach.”
To honor the stellar teachers who encourage students to seek their dreams and reach for the stars, the Canyons Board of Education and Administration encourage members of the community to submit nominations for the 2020 Canyons Teacher of the Year Award.