Week of January 24, 2022
We are an inclusive learning community with a tradition of inspiring, supporting, and collaborating with students
as they prepare to be engaged citizens in their pursuit of continuous success.
- Updates on COVID & Tier III Status: As you are aware, current transmission of the current variant of COVID-19 continues to be high in our community. As a result, Canyons School District has recommended that all schools be placed in a Tier III status thru January 23, at which point they will reassess the situation. In the meantime, we will continue to follow Tier III guidelines. Again, this means that we will continue to follow SL County Health guidelines, increase deep cleans in our school, postpone assemblies and field trips, and limit after-school activities to practices and competitions for in-season UHSAA activities. Should activities need to be cancelled due to high transmission amongst participants, the activities will be rescheduled at a later date. We will apprise you of these changes as they are determined. As always, our priority will be the health and safety of our students and staff.
- Free Mental Health Screening & Services: Alta High and Canyons School District have noticed an increase in the need for mental and emotional health supports for our students. To help address this need, on January 27, the District is hosting a free mental health screening at Midvale Middle School from 4:00-8:00 p.m. Students ages 10-18 and their parents are encouraged to attend. Registration is required prior to attending. See flyers below for information on additional screening dates in February.
- Step 2 the U: The deadline is fast approaching! Step2theU is an early-college pathway that is unique to Alta High. Students can earn college credits and save thousands of dollars in the process. Any junior student enrolled at Alta may apply for this program. The online application link can be found at https://ahs.canyonsdistrict.org/step2theu/. Applications are due on Tuesday, February 1, 2022.
- Teacher of the Year Nominations: We invite any member of our school community to nominate a “Teacher of the Year” from Alta High School. Click this link to complete your nomination by February 4th. Thank you!
- Senior Ads for the Yearbook: It’s an ‘almost’ final call! If you’d like your senior student to be highlighted in the Senior Ad section of the yearbook, it’s time to submit your ads! The final deadline to submit an ad is next Monday, January 31st, 2022. See flyer below for additional information.
- Transcripts: If you have recently submitted a request for transcripts on Parchment, please be aware that they will not be processed until the end of January. Quarter 2 grades will not be finalized until then. You can check your Parchment status after January 26.
- PTSA Board Nominations: It’s that time of year when the PTSA is filling positions for next year’s board. We’d love to have you join the group! Please click on the following link to discover which position matches your skills or interests.
- PTA Day at the Capitol is a virtual online event for all PTA members. This will occur on Wednesday, January 26, 9:00 am-Noon. This is the annual, historic event that provides all PTA members the opportunity to participate in the Utah Legislative Session. Attendance is free, but registration is required in order to receive the event link Register here. Additional Info can be found here.
- The Founders Day Celebration (PTA) is a physical event at the Capitol Building which will take place on Wednesday, February 16, 10 am-2 pm. The first two hours include a tour of the Capitol and a Time Certain in a Galley for a special resolution regarding the 125th anniversary of Utah PTA. The second two hours, beginning at noon, are reserved for a gathering for our region (district) alone with our own legislators. All of the legislators who represent us have been invited and have accepted, so this is a terrific opportunity for you to meet and converse with our representatives at the Capitol. We will be in the Aspen room, which is in the East Senate Building. More information. There is a cost of $10 for this event.
- Attention Junior Families: The state ACT will be administered to all Alta juniors on Tuesday, March 8, 2022. Alta is pleased to announce that we have partnered with Sycamore Learning Company again this year and will be able to offer a test prep course on Saturday, February 26, 2022, from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm in the Commons. Please see the flyer below for details on how to register. This is for JUNIORS ONLY. There are a limited number of spots available, so make sure to reserve your seat soon! If you have questions, please contact your student’s counselor or Shannon Kershaw, Alta’s Test Coordinator.