Week of August 31st, 2020
Alta High School
Soar to a New ALTAtude
We are an inclusive learning community with a tradition of inspiring, supporting, and collaborating with students as they prepare to be engaged citizens in their pursuit of continuous success.
- COVID-19 Updates – We had a great first week of school! Thank you for supporting your student in following the expectations set forth by the Salt Lake County Health Department and Canyons District. Here are a few reminders to please review with your student as we enter week two of school:
- Complete a symptom check before leaving the house; keep your student home if they are sick.
- Masks must be worn over both the nose and mouth. Please review the CDC guidelines for proper mask wearing.
- Students must sit at least six feet apart while their mask is off to eat lunch. Students will need to stay stationary while eating and drinking.
- Support your student in charging their device at night and bringing it fully charged to school each morning.
- View the COVID-19 updates for the Alta High Community on page 4 of this newsletter each week.
- Review the Canyons COVID-19 Manual and submit the Acknowledgement Form to your student’s advisory teacher.
- When we have a student or staff member test positive for COVID-19, school personnel immediately begin working with the health department to follow the contact tracing protocols. The families of all students determined to have been in close contact with this individual in the time they were contagious will be notified; however, due to privacy laws, specific information cannot be shared about the individual who tested positive. Please contact one of the Alta Administrators if you have questions or concerns about this proces
- Makeup Picture Days – Makeup pictures will take place on two days. Students with last names A-K will complete makeup pictures on September 8th, and students with last names L-Z will do so on September 9th.
- Parking – There are still several parking spots open in the student parking areas on the west side of Alta High. Students can purchase a parking pass for $10 in the Main Office. As per Sandy City ordinance, students cannot park on the neighboring streets surrounding the school, especially if they are blocking driveways, mailboxes and garbage pickup areas. Students who do so may be ticketed or towed.
- Driving Range Schedule – Alta will be running the Driving range Monday-Friday from 3:00PM until 7:00PM for the first 7 weeks of each quarter, as well as on Saturday mornings. For us to do that safely we will need all cars moved from the parking lot south of the tennis courts by 3:00PM. If you need to stay on campus, you are welcome to move the cars to the parking lot north of the tennis courts. We use all of the parking lot when running our range sessions. We cannot risk the possibility of an accident with a parked car and cannot afford the cost of repairs. We will be towing cars at the owner’s expense if they are left on the range. Please talk with your student and let them know of the consequences of leaving cars on the range.
- Message from Alta’s Mental Wellness Team – Alta’s Mental Wellness Team is made up of our amazing Social Workers and School Psychologist. Each month, they will provide some resources to help you support your students and yourselves. This month’s focus is self-awareness. Please view a letter from this team and a “Quick Feelings Check In” resource on the following pages.
- Emergency Substitutes Wanted! – We anticipate a possible increase in need for substitutes. Please consider signing up to help us with this. Emergency substitute candidates will need to apply by going to the Emergency Substitute website. Then, you will need to go into the Canyons Human Resources Department to do paperwork before substituting at Alta.
- NHS – National Honor Society is an academic service organization which focuses on promoting and rewarding character, service, leadership and scholarship. Students interested in joining should see the flyer below and apply.
- Hope Squad – If you are interested in being considered for this year’s Hope Squad Advisory class, where your approachability, leadership and positivity will be put to great use, please complete the online application by Friday, September 4. Once applications are reviewed, selected students will be moved from their current Advisory class into the Hope Squad Advisory. We look forward to filling this unique school year with lots of hope and we’d love your help!
- Purchase Alta Masks – Alta Masks are on sale now at Your Masks Now. Use discount code “AHS” and it will take $2.00 off the price.
You can now follow us on Instagram under the nametag alta.hawks!
**For more information or to see photos of events, please visit the Alta High Website or follow the Alta Facebook Page.**