Week of August 10th, 2020
Alta High School
Ignite the Hawk Within
We are an inclusive learning community with a tradition of inspiring, supporting, and collaborating with students as they prepare to be engaged citizens in their pursuit of continuous success.
- School Start Date – The first day of school will now be on Monday, August 24th. The Canyons District Board of Education voted last week to give students one more week of summer break! This extra week also gives teachers and school personnel another week to prepare their schools and lessons to meet the needs of all students and ensure we are prepared to meet the Salt Lake County Health Department guidelines for keeping students and staff members safe throughout the school day. Please view the additional page below for COVID-19 updates for our area and more information about the Alta High reopening plan.
- Online Registration & Arena Scheduling – Arena scheduling will be open from Monday, August 10th at 8am until midnight on Sunday, August 16th. If your student needs to make adjustments to their schedule, please have them do so during this week. Students intending to take online courses should put them in their schedule. If you would like to change your learning option from “online” to “in person,” you can do so by reopening registration in Skyward or email your student’s counselor.
- Technology Plan – Alta High is implementing a 1:1 technology plan! This means all students will be issued a school-owned Chromebook device to use at school each day. This will be a tremendous aid in preventing the spread of COVID-19 and ensuring that all students have the technology they need should they have to stay home from school for an extended period of time. Unfortunately, the latest batch of devices are on backorder. We currently have enough to issue one to the majority of our students, and we are hoping that others will be willing to bring their own device until the remainder arrive. Please complete this one-question survey to help us determine our capability to implement this plan at the start of the school year.
- Picture Day – Alta’s picture day is Thursday, August 13th. This process also allows for students to receive their Alta ID and be featured in the yearbook. Please sign up for Parent Notify, read about Lifetouch’s new safety protocols and order online on the Lifetouch webpage. In order to help maintain physical distancing during the picture day process, please attend according to the following schedule:
9:00-10:00am Last Names A-D 10:00-11:00am Last Names E-K
1:00-12:00pm Last Names L-R 12:00-1:00pm Last Names S-Z
1:00-2:00pm Makeup Session (if your student was unable to attend during their assigned time slot)
- 9th Grade Orientation – Freshman Orientation will be held in two sessions in order to maintain physical distancing. Students whose last names start with A-J should arrive at Alta at 8:45am, and those with last names K-Z at 10:15am. See the additional page for more information.
- New Alta High Bell Schedule – We have added a third lunch to Alta’s traditional bell schedule so it will be easier for all students to find space in our cafeteria, courtyard and other areas to physically distance from others while they eat. Classes that have second lunch will hold the first half of their class, break for lunch, then return to their 3rd/7th period for the second half of class. See the additional page for a copy of this new schedule.
- Fee Waivers – Utah state law requires that all students who qualify for fee waivers must reapply each school year. If your child has previously been on fee waiver or you would like to newly apply for a fee waiver, please visit either the Alta Main or Attendance Office. You can also apply for free or reduced lunch through the Skyward registration process or by completing the online application.
- FLBA – Students interested in joining Alta’s award-winning Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) this school year should view the flyer below and visit the Alta FBLA website