Week of October 25-29, 2021
We are an inclusive learning community with a tradition of inspiring, supporting, and collaborating with students
as they prepare to be engaged citizens in their pursuit of continuous success.
- Positive Behavior Interventions and Support: As 2nd quarter begins, we plan to do a SOAR card blitz to reward positive behavior from our students, particularly with regard to attendance. Principal McGill and our SBO’s will present a video in Advisory this week reviewing our SOAR expectations. (SOAR stands for safe, organized, actively engaged, and respectful.) Students may earn SOAR cards from any staff member and use those cards at the newly opened Hawk’s Nest School Store as well as deposit the cards in various boxes outside the Attendance Office for weekly/monthly drawings.
- Latino Parent Night will be held on Thursday, October 28th at 6:30 p.m. in the Library Media Center at Alta High. We invite our Latino community to attend and learn more about Alta High School. Food and refreshments provided!
- Salt Lake Community College – Concurrent Enrollment Application – FREE APPLICATION until November 1st. Students who are planning on taking a Concurrent Enrollment Course next semester can begin their application now. All of the applications that are submitted before November 1, 2021 will save the $40 SLCC Application Fee. To save the $40 Application Fee there are two options to complete the application: At home or at ALTA during Advisory At Home: Follow the link: go to http://www.slcc.edu/concurrentenrollment/Students/admission.html and follow the instructions.
- SLCC application info continued: ALTA is excited and committed to support our students with their advanced education goals. If your student wants a guided walkthrough and support with the application, ALTA’s CAREER CENTER will be in the Commons each day during Advisory. Students will need to bring their computer to the commons during Advisory, and they will be instructed with a step-by-step process for successful application, saving $40 of the application fee. The Career Center professionals are available before and after school to provide guided support in room 1407. If you have questions, contact Brandon Jacobson at Brandon.Jacobson@Canyonsdistrict.org.
- Attention 9th Grade Students and Parents/Guardians: You should have received a postcard concerning the 9th grade Plan for College and Career Readiness (PCCR) presentations which will be held on Wednesday, October 27th in the Performing Arts Center from 9:00-9:45 a.m. Parents are invited and encouraged to attend. Please scan the QR code below with your camera to complete a short survey indicating which topics you would like to discuss.
- Attention Seniors! The Opportunity Scholarship application (formerly known as the Regents’ scholarship) will open on Monday, November 15th. The priority deadline is December 4th. Applications received by the priority deadline may be given first consideration. Go to opportunityscholarship.org for more information and to see if you qualify for this scholarship. Call the Opportunity office at 801-646-4812 or see Mrs. Brown in the Counseling Center if you have questions or concerns.
- Alta Hawkeye News: Check out our student newspaper for articles on the latest at Alta High School. Read about the opening of our new school store, student life, and get a sneak peek at our new gym floor: https://altahawkeye.org/
- Civics Test Requirement: Per state law, in order to graduate, all seniors must take and pass a basic Civics Test. If your student has not taken, or did not pass this test, they should have received two emails through their school email giving them instructions on how to take this test through their canvas account. Contact Karen Brown in the Counseling Center if you have any questions at 801-826-5631 or email@example.com
- AP Test Info: It is time to register and pay for your 2022 AP exams. Please refer to the detailed letter below for a more thorough explanation of this process. You can also contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns.