Alta High School
Soar to a New ALTAtude
We are an inclusive learning community with a tradition of inspiring, supporting, and collaborating with students as they prepare to be engaged citizens in their pursuit of continuous success.
- Hope Week – Sponsored by Hope Squad, Alta’s student will be engaging in some fun and informative activities throughout this week dedicated to hope, strength, optimism and empowerment. Parents can learn about keeping their students safe and supported by utilizing the resources provided on the Canyons School District Social and Emotional Supports webpage.
- End of 3rd Quarter – March 19th is the end of 3rd quarter. Students are encouraged to take advantage of times available to meet with teachers: Monday-Thursday 7:10-7:40am and Friday mornings. Also, both in person and virtual math tutoring is available Monday-Thursday after school or by appointment with individual tutors. Please see the Alta High Tutoring Webpage for more information about this and other tutoring opportunities.
- Registering for Next Year’s Classes – Counselors have been working with students to choose their 2021-2022 courses. If your student did not receive their course cards in class, it is available on the Counseling Center website. Students must choose 8 credits worth of courses, enter those choices into their Skyward > Scheduling > Course requests for 2021-22 or return their completed course cards to the Counseling Center by Friday, March 19th.
- Class of 2021 Graduation Ceremonies – A copy of the letter with details about this spring’s graduation ceremonies can be found on pages 5 and 6. Please note important dates and deadlines. Applications for department cords, which can be worn at graduation, are now available. Students can find them on Alta’s website or pick up a paper application in the Career Center, room 1940. Return completed applications to individual departments no later than Friday, March 26th by 3:00 pm. Students who need transcripts for applications can order them on the Parchment webpage.
- Dance Company Concert – Alta Dance Company Concert is this week and tickets are on sale now! See page 7 for details.
- Alta Blankets are Back! – The Alta PTSA are once again selling Alta the popular Alta blankets, and you can order yours here! These make a great graduation gift! Order yours before the March 20th deadline to receive it in early May.
- Hawk Stash – The Alta Hawk Stash is open after school on Thursdays in room 1110. Students and family members can also visit either the Counseling Center or Attendance Office to access the Hawk Stash during any other school operating hours.
- Scholarship Opportunity – Seniors: We have a great scholarship opportunity for you. The Canyons Education Foundation is offering two different scholarships for Alta Seniors – The Bright Star Scholarship for any senior who has shown improvement or exemplary effort in working toward post-secondary education, and the Rising Star Scholarship which is for a student who has risen above difficult circumstances. The application deadline is March 23rd to Mrs. Scheffner in the Alta Counseling Center. Don’t miss out on this opportunity!
- University of Utah High School Student Conferences – The University of Utah Center of Ethnic Student Affairs is hosting three high school conferences in the near future. Please see the information on pages 8 and 9 for details regarding the following:
- “Power Within My Melanin” Black Student Union High School Conference on March 25th
- 26th Annual MEChA High School Conference: Community Healing Together in Spirit on March 26th
- Pacific Islanders Student Association’s “Unite to Move Forward” Conference on April 9th
- Keys to Success – Students, don’t forget to apply for the Keys to Success app online to register an account. You have the opportunity to be awarded a scholarship for college or obtain an internship! So much good information here for you!