Week of August 24th, 2020
Alta High School
Soar to a New ALTAtude
We are an inclusive learning community with a tradition of inspiring, supporting, and collaborating with students as they prepare to be engaged citizens in their pursuit of continuous success.
- Back to School Checklist – School starts today! We are looking forward to serving our students again, and we have plans in place to help keep everyone safe. To aid us in this, please support your student in following these expectations on each school day:
- Complete a symptom check before leaving the house; stay home if you are sick.
- Bring and wear a face mask, following the CDC Guidelines for correctly wearing masks.
- Today is a B-day. Students will report to their 5th period class.
- Arrive to school at the first bell and go directly to class. Or, go to the cafeteria (east gym) or a classroom if you must come to school early.
- Bring a fully-charged device to utilize in classes (Chromebook, laptop, tablet, iPad, etc.).
- Follow directional arrows in the hallways and all safety procedures in each classroom.
- Assist teachers in sanitizing your learning space at the start of each class.
- Vacate the school grounds immediately after school or report directly to a school-sponsored after school event.
- View the COVID-19 updates for the Alta High Community on page 4 of this newsletter each week.
- Review the Canyons COVID-19 Manual and submit the Acknowledgement Form to your student’s advisory teacher.
- Chromebook Distribution – Thank you to everyone who came to get a Chromebook at our drive up distribution last week! If your student needs to check out a school Chromebook but did not have the chance to do so yet, they will be directed to do so in the first week of school.
- Alta Class Schedule Changes – We will only be making essential schedule changes in the first week of school in order to avoid long lines and congregation in and around the Counseling Center. These include missing classes in a student’s schedule, graduation needs for 12th grade students, and level changes. Please email your student’s counselor if one of these essential schedule changes can be adjusted in this manner.
- Makeup Picture Days – Makeup pictures will take place on two days. Students with last names A-K will complete makeup pictures on September 8th, and students with last names L-Z will do so on September 9th.
- Lunchtime Procedures – We will host three lunches this school year to help lower our lunch numbers and allow students to better physically distance while they eat. Students can still leave campus for lunch. If they choose to remain on campus, they will be directed to numerous locations where they can sit six or more feet apart while they eat. The Alta Kitchen staff have been working hard to put a plan in place to safely feed all students who want school lunch and breakfast. Details about this plan and a copy of the new bell schedule can be found below.
- New Alta High Bell Schedule – We have added a third lunch to Alta’s traditional bell schedule so it will be easier for all students to find space in our cafeteria, courtyard and other areas to physically distance from others while they eat. Classes that have second lunch will hold the first half of their class, break for lunch, then return to their 3rd/7th period for the second half of class. See the additional page for a copy of this new schedule.
- Emergency Substitutes Wanted! – We anticipate a possible increase in need for substitutes. Please consider signing up to help us with this. Emergency substitute candidates will need to apply by going to the Emergency Substitute website. Then, you will need to go into the Canyons Human Resources Department to do paperwork before substituting at Alta.
- Physical Education Classes – The Alta Physical Education (PE) classes would like you to have information about the policy regarding the wearing of masks and how this affects their PE classes. Please see the additional page for a copy of a letter from our teachers, detailing this information.
- Hope Squad – If you are interested in being considered for this year’s Hope Squad Advisory class, where your approachability, leadership and positivity will be put to great use, please complete the online application by Friday, September 4. Once applications are reviewed, selected students will be moved from their current Advisory class into the Hope Squad Advisory. We look forward to filling this unique school year with lots of hope and we’d love your help!
You can now follow us on Instagram under the nametag alta.hawks!
**For more information or to see photos of events, please visit the Alta High Website or follow the Alta Facebook Page.**